The Charleston Conference is pleased to offer a new career service to conference attendees at this years’ annual meeting, called the Charleston Conference Career Center. The career center will have its debut on Tuesday, November 5th at the Gaillard Center at the 2019 Charleston Conference, which will be held November 4 – 8, 2019 in Charleston, SC.
The Career Center will offer:
- Handouts on resume building and cover letters
- Resume and cover letter review by appointment
- General career consulting by experienced Charleston Conference attendees
- Posted job announcements
- A place to post your resume/CV
During the conference the Career Center will be open
- Tuesday, November 5: 9:00 AM to 6:00 PM in Gaillard Center (Job Advice)
- Wednesday, November 6: 5:45 PM to Friday, November 8 at 1:30 PM in Francis Marion Hotel (Job Bulletin Board)
Thus, we are seeking your support three ways
- We need individuals to serve as career advisors/coaches
- We need people who are looking to be advised to sign up
- We need employers to post their job descriptions to bulletin board and to be available for a meet and greet on Wednesday evening (November 6th) (optional)
As a career advisor/coach you will have the opportunity to volunteer (30 min blocks, you can sign up for more than one block) with the Conference and hone your career development skills. We are seeking advisors/coaches from a wide array of fields including librarians, archivists, publishers, vendors, and library administrators.
As an advisor/coach you will expected to do some of the following
- Review resumes and cover letters
- Offer advice and tips on the job search and job interviews
Advisees are expected to bring questions for advisors and a resume/CV. For assistance with a specific job, bring the potential job posting(s). Advisees can be from a wide array of points in their career trajectory, from new professionals to seasoned veterans.
As an employer you will have the opportunity to post job opportunities at your institution and meet with prospective candidates during the Wednesday meet and greet (5:45 PM – 6:45 PM in Francis Marion Hotel). We are seeking employers from a wide array of fields including librarians, archivists, publishers, and library administrators.
To sign up for each of these positions visit SignUp here https://signup.com/go/juUNRaO.
- Register to be a career advisor by October 1, 2019
- Register to be an advisee by October 20, 2019
- Register to be an employer by October 30, 2019
Thank you and if you have any questions or concerns please contact Aaisha Haykal at firstname.lastname@example.org
Tom is originally from Brooklyn N.Y but has spent his entire professional career in South Carolina, most recently as Head of Reference Services at the College of Charleston. As part of the Against the Grain and Charleston Conference team, he serves as the associate editor of the print ATG as well as the co-editor of the webpage. Tom’s conference duties include coordinating the Penthouse Suite interviews as well as the conference poster sessions.
He received his MLS from the University of Buffalo, SUNY and a second master’s in public administration from the College of Charleston and the Univ. of South Carolina. His wife Carol and he live in downtown Charleston and she is an artist and a tour guide offering historic walking tours of the city.