Professional Career Opportunities
- University of Wisconsin Parkside;
- Wayne State University, MI;
- University of California, Santa Barbara;
- Xavier University, OH;
- University of Tennessee;
- Athens State University, AL;
- Daniel Morgan Graduate School of National Security;
- Harvard Business School;
- James Madison University, VA;
- California State University, San Bernardino;
- Columbia University;
- Clayton State University, GA;
- University of Central Oklahoma;
- Saint Mary’s College of California;
- University of Connecticut;
- The Evergreen State College, WA;
- Midland University, NE;
Three positions – The Florida Academic Library Services Cooperative
- Director of E-Resources;
- Director of Digital Services and Open Educational Resources;
- Director of Library Support and Training
“Reporting to the Head of Library Collections, the individual who serves in this position manages individually-subscribed continuing resources in all formats and oversees their acquisition, description and access, along with licensing issues. The position oversees the acquisition, coordination, maintenance and ongoing assessment of the library’s electronic resources…”
- Assistant Library Director II for Resource Acquisitions Resource & Collections Strategy Services – Wayne State University, MI
“This position will lead and coordinate the identification, negotiation, acquisition, renewal, and payment of all library information resources. The Assistant Library Director II manages the acquisition lifecycle for all formats of materials, oversees Interlibrary Loan, and holds ultimate responsibility to manage e-resources, including maintaining access and communicating changes with the broader university…”
“UC Santa Barbara seeks an individual who exhibits strong and inspiring leadership, the ability to articulate a vision and provide strategic direction for libraries in the rapidly changing information environment, and to lead at regional and national levels on research library issues. The successful candidate will bring significant leadership experience and achievement in a research library. This individual will be committed to building, supporting, and sustaining a diverse workforce, and will possess effective budget management skills, knowledge of assessment tools to evaluate programs and services, and a strong understanding of the issues of scholarly communication and open access, among other topical challenges…”
“Xavier University seeks applicants to fill the vacancy for Head, Collection Services for the University Library. Reporting to the Library Director and serving on the library leadership team, the successful candidate for this full time position (37.5 hours/week) will provide strategic direction for library collection development while managing acquisitions, and Collection Management departments, including technical services…”
“Reporting to the NNLM PSR Associate Director, the Data Services and Technology Librarian will be one member of a team of three outreach librarians, who is responsible for the following duties:
- Oversees needs assessment and program development to increase support for big data initiatives, such as skills in creating data management plans and helping scientific researchers find appropriate data repositories.
- Oversees NNLM PSR website structure and content, and ensures that resources included on the website are compliant with requirements in Section 508 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973.
- Provides information and consultation on NNLM PSR funding opportunities and proposal preparation, solicits funding applications from Network members, and monitors progress of ongoing awards…”
“…Great library spaces foster a spirit of community and contribute to the Volunteer Difference. Come join our enterprising team and engage in the following as the Libraries Facilities Strategist:
- Lead visionary planning and design for the libraries building and spaces.
- Plan for long-term maintenance of library facilities and the systems within, including the innovative technologies integrated into those spaces.
- Prepare budget estimates for innovative endeavors that involve new thinking about space use…”
“The Archivist is responsible for preservation and conservation of collections and records relating to the history of Athens State University. The majority of these items are unique to this institution. Duties include organizing, preserving, developing, and digitizing University historical material; developing finding aids; supervising student workers and volunteers; showcasing special collections; identifying and cultivating potential donors to the Archives; and serving as liaison between the University Archives and the community. This is a twelve-month tenure-track position with faculty rank of Assistant Librarian. The position reports to the Library Director…”
“The Information Research Specialist is a valued member of Baker Research Services (BRS), a team of librarians, MBAs, statisticians, and economists with deep expertise working with licensed and publicly available data sources. BRS provides support to Harvard Business School faculty and doctoral students across the research spectrum-from advising on best resources for a project, to managing research projects from beginning to end, to finding innovative ways to communicate research findings, and more…”
“James Madison University (JMU) Libraries and Educational Technologies (LET) invites applications for a full-time, tenure-track Psychology Librarian. This position will work in the Research and Education Services department and will join the liaison team serving JMU’s College of Health and Behavioral Studies…”
“California State University, San Bernardino’s (CSUSB) John M. Pfau Library invites applications from … librarians to provide the leadership and effective communication to maintain, enrich, and advance the library’s information technologies and Web services.
Responsibilities: The Information Technology Librarian (ITL) is a tenure-track faculty position reporting to the dean of the Pfau Library. The ITL is the Head of the Library Information Technology unit which is charged with deploying and maintaining the library’s computers, related technologies, and Web services, as well as monitoring emerging technologies within and outside of library environments for possible use at the Pfau Library…”
“The Columbia University Libraries seek an Assistant Director for its newly formed Digital Scholarship division to help lead a team that is coordinating library-facilitated digital scholarship projects. This position also connects the library’s efforts to emergent themes and approaches around scholarly communication. Reporting to the Director of Digital Scholarship, the Assistant Director develops and promotes programs, services, and relationships that advance the ability of Columbia scholars to communicate knowledge in impactful ways to essential audiences online…”
“The University Archivist & Head of Special Collections (University Archivist) is responsible for reporting to the Dean of the Library all goals, plans, and special projects of Archives, especially those areas of Archives that impact other departments inside the library, across the campus, and within the community. This is a non-tenured faculty position.
The University Archivist oversees all aspects of acquiring, arranging, preserving, describing, making available, and promoting the permanently valuable institutional records and historic records of the University, utilizing standard archival practices…”
“The University of Central Oklahoma’s Chambers Library has an opening for a … individual to serve as the Web Developer. This position plays a key role in connecting the library’s services to the patrons. This unique opportunity comes at a significant time as the library embarks on several bold initiatives, including redefining the library’s use of technology as part of our initiative to transform user services…”
“Saint Mary’s College of California Library is seeking an … librarian who will be responsible for the management and administration of the College Archives, a repository (physical and digital) of historical materials relating to the founding, development and ongoing work of the College. The successful candidate will also provide general and subject specialized library information literacy instruction, research consultations and support and collection development for assigned departments or programs…”
“The University of Connecticut (UConn), seeks a … leader to serve as Dean of the University Library. UConn invites candidates who have a comprehensive resume of success in library administration, and who demonstrate exceptional skills and experience that will enable them to provide strong leadership to a research, educational, and outreach enterprise across multiple campuses to consider this exciting and challenging opportunity…”
“…Under administrative direction, the Associate Dean for Library Operations manages daily operations of the Library, assuring effective, efficient general services and responsive support of the instructional role of the larger organization. This position manages the operational and service side of the library, working collaboratively with the instructional team within an alternative interdisciplinary liberal arts environment…”
“Brief overview of Position: The Library Director is an experienced, forward thinking, academic professional with in-depth research, information literacy development, customer service, and academic program support skills. He or she collaborates with the Dean of Curriculum & Instruction to ensure library and academic support resources are in place for undergraduate and graduate students and faculty…”
Three positions – The Florida Academic Library Services Cooperative
- Director of E-Resources -“This position oversees all aspects of e-resource licensing on behalf of the libraries of Florida’s public colleges and universities, negotiating with vendors to leverage a multimillion dollar budget to meet the needs of 40 institutions while facilitating the best possible use of state funds. In select cases, the Director also works with the Independent Colleges and Universities of Florida…”
- Director of Digital Services and Open Educational Resources – “The Florida Academic Library Services Cooperative (FALSC) invites applications and nominations for Director of Digital Services and Open Educational Resources (OER). Committed to making higher education more affordable in Florida, FALSC and the Florida Virtual Campus (FLVC) are currently pushing to promote the use of open resources at the state’s 40 public colleges and universities,… The Director will oversee all aspects of Digital Services and OER, including Islandora, the Florida Digital Archive, and Florida Online Journals…”
- Director of Library Support and Training – “The Florida Academic Library Services Cooperative (FALSC) invites applications and nominations for Director of Library Support and Training. A member of the FALSC Leadership Team, the Director helps put a face on the organization for the 40 institutions FALSC serves, overseeing outreach, training, and professional development for library staff statewide, and support for staff, faculty, and students. The position is ideally suited for a candidate with a deep knowledge of library services and a love of people. The Director reports to FALSC’s Executive Director and supervises the Library Relations workgroup, FALSC Communications, and a centralized Help Desk…”
(Hat Tip to HigherEDJobs; ALA Joblist; ARL Job Listings; Simmons Jobline and NASIG Jobs Blog)
Tom is originally from Brooklyn N.Y but has spent his entire professional career in South Carolina, most recently as Head of Reference Services at the College of Charleston. As part of the Against the Grain and Charleston Conference team, he serves as the associate editor of the print ATG as well as the co-editor of the webpage. Tom’s conference duties include coordinating the Penthouse Suite interviews as well as the conference poster sessions.
He received his MLS from the University of Buffalo, SUNY and a second master’s in public administration from the College of Charleston and the Univ. of South Carolina. His wife Carol and he live in downtown Charleston and she is an artist and a tour guide offering historic walking tours of the city.