Three Positions – Southern Illinois University Carbondale
Responsibilities: Under the general direction of the Associate Dean for Information Services and responsive to input from the Dean of Library Affairs, all three positions provide reference, instruction, liaison, collection development, outreach, and general library services to the University community.
• Assists patrons at the Information Desk with research and reference questions, including limited nights and weekends. Provides general reference service via face-to-face, online, email, chat, phone, and consultation means.
• Instructs students and faculty in the use of library resources and technologies, as well as in information access, evaluation, and management in face-to-face and online settings as appropriate. Assists in the development of instructional curricula (including for credit and non-credit courses), online learning modules, web pages, user guides, and assessments.
• Serves as subject specialist and liaison to departments covering Humanities and Fine Arts disciplines, providing formal and informal instruction in library research for these departments. Assists with subject-specific research queries in areas of expertise. Identifies opportunities for outreach and strategic partnerships with specific SIU Carbondale departments based on expertise.
• Assists with student recruitment, orientation, and retention strategies.
• Selects monographs and recommends other resources for Humanities and Fine Arts disciplines. Participates in other collection development activities as needed.
• Participates in the library’s scholarly communication initiatives, including the population of the Institutional Repository.
• Serves on library and university committees.
• Other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
• ALA-accredited master’s degree in Library Science (MLS) awarded by date of appointment.
• Bachelor’s degree in 1. the Sciences; 2. the Social Sciences; 3. Humanities or Fine Arts
• Proficiency in the use of general and subject-specific reference resources and in conducting library research.
• Experience creating web-based guides and tutorials (e.g., LibGuides).
• Working knowledge of a wide variety of information technology applications (e.g., Microsoft Office) and databases.
• Excellent interpersonal and oral and written communication skills.
• Demonstrated strong organizational skills, including the ability to manage projects, and multiple tasks while meeting deadlines and solving problems in a complex and dynamic environment.
• A strong customer-service orientation.
• Demonstrated ability to work independently and collaboratively with diverse faculty, staff, and students in a rapidly-evolving, team-oriented environment.
• Additional master’s degree in 1. the Sciences; 2. the Social Sciences; 3. Humanities or Fine Arts
• Speaking, reading and writing knowledge of a second language.
• Experience working in an academic library.
• Teaching experience.
• Collection development experience.
• Familiarity with online learning management systems and tools.
• History of working with diverse populations and college students.
• Experience writing, obtaining, and managing grants.
Salary: Competitive, $40,000-$50,000
Deadline for Application: June 21, 2013, or until filled
Application: Submit a letter of application stating qualifications and background for this position, a resume, and names, addresses, telephone numbers, and e-mail addresses of three professional references. References may be contacted by Library Affairs and asked to comment on your experience and qualifications for this position.
All materials should be addressed to:
Teri Stobbs Ricci, Personnel Coordinator Library Affairs, Mail Code 6632 SIU Carbondale
605 Agriculture Drive
Carbondale, IL 62901
Tom Gilson. Test Bio