The New York Botanical Garden, a National Historic Landmark and one of NYC’s premier cultural institutions, seeks a Head of Cataloging and Technology Services in the Library Department. The Head of Cataloging and Technology Services will supervise all staff of the Cataloging & Metadata Department and provide oversight on all cataloging and metadata projects. As an original cataloger, the Head of Cataloging and Technology Services will perform original and copy cataloging and/or archiving in all formats of materials. The candidate must be able to bridge the functionality of traditional MARC format and library information systems with the functionality of web based information exchange, discovery and access. The candidate should have a broad understanding of digital technology-related activities in a special and/or academic research library setting as well as knowledge of emerging trends in digital technologies and technical service practice and where they might intersect. In furtherance of the Libraries’ mission and departmental goals, the Head of Cataloging and Technology Services will liaison with all members of the Library and may teach others in metadata provision and provide guidance and direction for the department.
- M.L.S. from an ALA-accredited library school with a minimum of three years of progressively responsible and successful management experience in a special and/or academic library.
- Experience with cataloging rules and standards (AACR2, RDA, FRBR, LCRI, LCSH), MARC and non-MARC metadata schemas, best practices, and their application (e.g., DACS, VRA, Dublin Core, EAD, geospatial metadata, METS, MODS, OAI).
- Experience working in a collaborative environment; demonstrated initiative investigating new ideas and implementing change.
- Proven ability to effectively lead, manage, and deliver on multiple projects.
- Demonstrated knowledge of issues and technical challenges related to the use and archiving of digital data and proven familiarity with applications that support data curation and management.
- Developed sense of the role of libraries in the collection, organization, distribution, discovery, preservation and access to data and information in digital form as well as traditional forms.
- Ability to give professional advice to catalogers about emerging technology and schemas.
Salary commensurate with experience.
Excellent benefits including 4 weeks vacation a year, 401k savings and pension plans, paid sick days and holidays, free employee parking on premises and more!
Please e-mail resume, letter of interest and salary requirements to: HR@NYBG.ORG, Attention: Recruiter-L-0112, The New York Botanical Garden, Human Resources, 2900 Southern Boulevard, Bronx, New York 10458.
The New York Botanical Garden is an Equal Opportunity Employer.