Date: Thursday, September 16, 2010
Time: 2:00-3:00 PM EDT (11:00 AM – 12:00 PM PDT)
Please join us for a lively discussion; receive continuing education credit
Discovery services—with their ability to dramatically increase collection usage, improve user experience, and raise the profile and value of the library—are being examined by libraries worldwide. Today’s discovery service products offer a range of solutions, and librarians who have conducted a serious evaluation have learned the difference between web-scale discovery, pioneered by the Summon service, and the blended systems that include federated search.
This webcast focuses on the primary distinction of web-scale discovery: the Unified Search Index that propels sub-second searches, and results that are unbiased—relevance ranked from a myriad of content types and providers in one convenient list. By attending this webcast, you will learn:
- how web-scale discovery works
- why a unified search index is a necessary component for the true discovery that satisfies user expectations and research needs.
- Jonathan Miller, Director of the Olin Library at Rollins College, will discuss how Rollins staff engaged with the new approach of web-scale discovery to realize its potential in working with their library’s existing services
- Andrew Nagy, Market Manager, Discovery Services, Serials Solutions, will speak to the power of the Unified Search Index
- Andrea Michalek, Director of Technology, Discovery Services, Serials Solutions, will cover the importance and intricacies of relevancy
- Mike Buschman, Senior Product Manager, Serials Solutions, will describe the richness of the index content, another differentiator of the Summon service
The event will be moderated by John Law, Vice President, Discovery Services, Serials Solutions
If you can’t make it on Thursday, September 16, register anyway. With your registration, you’ll be able to access this event on-demand.